or Bezants. Circular pieces of bullion without any
impression, supposed to represent the old coinage of Byzantium, and to
have been brought to Europe by the Crusaders.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Besants from Infoplease:
- besant: meaning and definitions - besant: Definition and Pronunciation
- Annie Besant - Besant, Annie Besant, Annie , 1847–1933, English social reformer and theosophist, b. Annie ...
- Sir Walter Besant - Besant, Sir Walter Besant, Sir Walter , 1836–1901, English novelist and humanitarian, grad. ...
- Besants - Besants or Bezants. Circular pieces of bullion without any impression, supposed to represent the ...
- bezant: meaning and definitions - bezant: Definition and Pronunciation