To live in the Bermudas, i.e. in some out-of-the-way place
for cheapness. The shabby genteel hire a knocker in some West-end
square, where letters may be left for them, but live in the Bermudas,
or narrow passages north of the Strand, near Covent Garden.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bermudas from Infoplease:
- Bermuda grass - Bermuda grass Bermuda grass, perennial pasture, lawn, and hay grass (Cynodon dactylon) of the ...
- Bermuda - Information on Bermuda — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Bermuda - Map of Bermuda & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Bermuda petrel: meaning and definitions - Bermuda petrel: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bermuda high: meaning and definitions - Bermuda high: Definition and Pronunciation