[the white lady ]. This fairy, in Southern Germany,
answers to Hulda (the gracious lady) of Northern Germany; but
after the introduction of Christianity, when pagan deities were
represented as demons, Berchta lost her former character, and became a
bogie to frighten children.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Berchta from Infoplease:
- Berchta: meaning and definitions - Berchta: Definition and Pronunciation
- Berchta - Berchta [the white lady ]. This fairy, in Southern Germany, answers to Hulda (the gracious lady) of ...
- Perchta: meaning and definitions - Perchta: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Beiderbecke beige beignet Beijing Beilan Pass being Beira Beirut Beja bejabbers ...
- Hulda - Hulda [the Benignant]. Goddess of marriage and fecundity, who sent bridegrooms to maidens and ...