(2 syl.). A festival observed in Ireland on June 21st, and in
some parts of Scotland on May Day. A fire is kindled on the hills, and
the young people dance round it, and feast on cakes made of milk and
eggs. It is supposed to be a relic of the worship of Baal. The word is
Gaelic, and means Bel's fire; and the cakes are called beltane-cakes.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Beltane from Infoplease:
- May Day - The First of May means many different things
- Beltane: meaning and definitions - Beltane: Definition and Pronunciation
- Beltane - Beltane (2 syl.). A festival observed in Ireland on June 21st, and in some parts of Scotland on May ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Beiderbecke beige beignet Beijing Beilan Pass being Beira Beirut Beja bejabbers ...
- Halloween History - Halloween History The tangled origins of the October 31 holiday by Shmuel Ross Related Links ...