The pit of the stomach. To knock a man on the “bellows” takes his
“wind (breath) away.”
Sing old rose and burn the bellows.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bellows from Infoplease:
- bellow: meaning and definitions - bellow: Definition and Pronunciation
- bellows: meaning and definitions - bellows: Definition and Pronunciation
- Saul Bellow - Bellow, Saul Bellow, Saul, 1915–2005, American novelist, b. Lachine, Que., as Solomon Bellow, ...
- George Wesley Bellows - Bellows, George Wesley Bellows, George Wesley, 1882–1925, American painter, draftsman, and ...
- bellows fish: meaning and definitions - bellows fish: Definition and Pronunciation