This place is a perfect bear-garden—that is, full of
confusion, noise, tumult, and quarrels. Bear-gardens were places where
bears used to be kept and baited for public amusement.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bear Garden from Infoplease:
- bear garden: meaning and definitions - bear garden: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bear Garden - Bear Garden This place is a perfect bear-garden—that is, full of confusion, noise, tumult, ...
- Paris-Garden - Paris-Garden A bear-garden; a noisy, disorderly place. In allusion to the bear-garden so called on ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index bdl. bdle. bdrm. B.D.S. BDSA be Bea beach beach aster beachbag beachball beach ...
- Pandemonium - Pandemonium (A). A perfect pandemonium. A bear-garden for disorder and licentiousness. In allusion ...