Rations or “commons” allowed to students at the University of
Oxford. (To batten, to feast.)
Buttery bills at the universities. (See above.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Battels from Infoplease:
- battel: meaning and definitions - battel: Definition and Pronunciation
- Battels - Battels Rations or “commons” allowed to students at the University of Oxford. (To ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index B.A.S. basad basal basal body basal cell basal cell carcinoma basal conglomerate ...
- John Milton - Paradise Lost: Book VI - All night the dreadless Angel unpursu'd Through Heav'ns wide Champain held his way, till Morn, Wak't by the circling Hours, with rosie hand Unbarr'd t
- John Milton - Paradise Lost: Book I - Of Mans First Disobedience, and the Fruit Of that Forbidden Tree, whose mortal tast Brought Death into the World, and all our woe, With loss of EDEN,