Harlequin's lath wand (French, battle, a wooden sword).
To carry out one's bat
(in cricket). Not to be “out” when the time for drawing the stumps
has arrived. Off his own bat. By his own exertions; on his own
account. A cricketer's phrase, meaning runs won by a single player.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bat from Infoplease:
- Bats - Spotlight on Bats Mysterious Mammals on the Fly Source: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service ECHOLOCATION ...
- vampire bat - vampire bat vampire bat, name for the blood-drinking bats of the family Desmodontidae, found in the ...
- bat - bat bat, winged mammal of the order Chiroptera, which includes 900–1,000 species classified ...
- fruit bat - fruit bat fruit bat, fruit-eating bat found in tropical regions of the Old World. It is relatively ...
- brown bat: meaning and definitions - brown bat: Definition and Pronunciation