An arrogant, domineering man; so called from the Turkish
viceroys and provincial governors, each of whom bears the title of bascha (pacha).
A three-tailed bashaw.
A beglerbeg or prince of princes among the Turks, having a standard
of three horse-tails borne before him. The next in rank is the bashaw with
two tails, and then the bey, who has only one horse-tail.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bashaw from Infoplease:
- bashaw: meaning and definitions - bashaw: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bashaw - Bashaw An arrogant, domineering man; so called from the Turkish viceroys and provincial governors, ...
- Three-tailed Bashaw - Three-tailed Bashaw (See Bashaw.) Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894 ...
- Treaty of Tripoli - Authored by American diplomat Joel Barlow in 1796, the following treaty was sent to the floor of the Senate, June 7, 1797, where it was read aloud in
- Conclusion - Candideby Voltaire What Manner Candide Found Mis... Conclusion Candide had, in truth, no great ...