He comes out of a bandbox—i.e. he is so neat and precise, so
carefully got up in his dress and person, that he looks like some
company dress, carefully kept in a bandbox.
Neat as a bandbox.
Neat as clothes folded and put by in a bandbox.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bandbox from Infoplease:
- bandbox: meaning and definitions - bandbox: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bandbox - Bandbox He comes out of a bandbox—i.e. he is so neat and precise, so carefully got up in his ...
- Neat as a Bandbox - Neat as a Bandbox A band-box is a slight box for caps, hats, and other similar articles. Source: ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index bal Bala Balaam balaclava Balaguer Balak Balaklava Balakovo balalaika balance ...
- Louisa May Alcott: Secrets - Jo was very busy in the garret, for the October days began to grow chilly, and the afternoons were short. For two or three hours the sun lay warmly in