A territory under a ban (lord), from the Illyrican word
bojan, a lord. The Turks gave this title to the lords of frontier
provinces —e.g. the Banat of Croatia, which now forms part of
the kingdom of Hungary.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Banat from Infoplease:
- Banat - Banat Banat , region extending across W Romania, NE Serbia, and S Hungary. The term banat ...
- Banat: meaning and definitions - Banat: Definition and Pronunciation
- Caramel (Sukkar banat) - Starring Nadine Labaki, Yasmine Al Masri, Joanna Moukarzel, Sihame Haddad, Adel Karam
- Banat - Banat A territory under a ban (lord), from the Illyrican word bojan, a lord. The Turks gave this ...
- Reşiţa - Reşiţa Reşiţa , Hung. Resiczabánya, city (1990 pop. 110,519), W ...