A saucepan containing hot water into which a smaller saucepan
is plunged, either to keep it hot, or that it may boil without burning.
A glue pot is a good example. Mons. Bouillet says, “Ainsi appelé du
nom de l'inventeur ” (Balneum Mariæ). But derivations from proper
names require authentication.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bain Marie from Infoplease:
- bain-marie: meaning and definitions - bain-marie: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bain Marie - Bain Marie A saucepan containing hot water into which a smaller saucepan is plunged, either to keep ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index B, b B-1 B-29 ba baa B.A.A.E. baal Baalbek Baalism baal kore Baal Merodach ...
- Jugged Hare - Jugged Hare The hare being cut up is put into a jug or pipkin, and the pipkin is set in a pan of ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: B - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "B"