(French, bailler). To deliver up.
or bail below. A bail given to the sheriff, after arresting
a person, to guarantee that the defendant will appear in court at any
day and time the court demands. Special bail or bail above, consists of persons who undertake to satisfy all claims made on the
defendant, and to guarantee his rendering himself up to justice when
To bail up.
To disarm before robbing, to force to throw up the arms.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bail from Infoplease:
- bail - bail bail, in law, procurement of release from prison of a person awaiting trial or an appeal, by ...
- bail bond: meaning and definitions - bail bond: Definition and Pronunciation
- bail: meaning and definitions - bail: Definition and Pronunciation
- Baile Átha Cliath: meaning and definitions - Baile Átha Cliath: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dublin, city, Republic of Ireland - Dublin Dublin, Irish Baile Átha Cliath, county borough (1991 pop. 915,516), Leinster, ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring