is properly a “copus cup,” made of claret spiced and sweetened,
a favourite with the Duke of Beaufort of Badminton. As the duke used to
be a great patron of the prize ring, Badminton was used as equivalent
to claret as the synonym of blood.
Also a game similar to lawn tennis only played with shuttlecocks
instead of balls.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Badminton from Infoplease:
- Olympic Preview: Badminton - 2008 Summer Olympics badminton
- badminton - badminton badminton , game played by volleying a shuttlecock (called a “bird”)—a ...
- Badminton - Badminton Men Women Mixed Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All ...
- Badminton - Badminton MEN WOMEN MIXED Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All ...
- Badminton - 2008 Badminton MEN Event Singles Dan Lin, China Chong Wei Lee, Malaysia Jin Chen, China Doubles ...