Playful raillery, banter (French), from the verb badiner, to joke or jest. The noun badine means a switch, and in France
they catch wild ducks by covering a boat with switches, in which the
ducks seek protection. A person quizzed is like these wild ducks.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Badinage from Infoplease:
- badinage: meaning and definitions - badinage: Definition and Pronunciation
- Badinage - Badinage Playful raillery, banter (French), from the verb badiner, to joke or jest. The noun badine ...
- XII - Poemsby Emily Dickinson A Rose Cobwebs XII High from the earth I heard a bird; He trod upon the ...
- The Oriole - Poemsby Emily Dickinson The Oriole's Secret In Shadow The Oriole One of the ones that Midas ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index B, b B-1 B-29 ba baa B.A.A.E. baal Baalbek Baalism baal kore Baal Merodach ...