The scape-goat; so called by the Jews, because the high priest
cast lots on two goats; one lot was for the Lord, and the other
lot Azazel or Satan, and the goat on which the latter lot fell
was the scape-goat.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Azazel from Infoplease:
- Azazel - Azazel Azazel , in the Bible, an obscure term found in the ritual of the scapegoat in the Book of ...
- Azazel: meaning and definitions - Azazel: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/azazel - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Azazel - Azazel The scape-goat; so called by the Jews, because the high priest cast lots on two goats; one ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Auvergne au vol aux Aux Cayes auxesis auxetic auxiliary auxiliary language ...