[Hail, Mary! ] [Ave, 2 syl.). The first two words
of the angel's salutation to the Virgin Mary. (Luke i. 28.) In the
Roman Catholic Church the phrase is applied to an invocation to the
Virgin beginning with those words; and also to the smaller beads of a
rosary, the larger ones being termed pater-nosters.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ave Maria from Infoplease:
- Ave Maria: meaning and definitions - Ave Maria: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ave Maria - Ave Maria Ave Maria [Lat.,=hail, Mary], prayer to the Virgin Mary universal among Roman Catholics, ...
- Ave Maria - Starring Damián Alcázar, Demián Bichir, Juan Diego Botto, Gabriela Canudas, Octavio Castro
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/ave maria - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Ave Maria - Ave Maria [Hail, Mary! ] [Ave, 2 syl.). The first two words of the angel's salutation to the ...