An ocean island, where King Arthur resided and was buried. The
word means “Apple island” (aval , apple; yn, island); and
it is generally thought to mean Glastonbury, a name derived from the
(green like glass).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Avalon from Infoplease:
- Avalon - Avalon Avalon , in Celtic mythology, the blissful otherworld of the dead. In medieval romance it ...
- Frankie Avalon - Frankie Avalon (Francis Thomas Avallone) singer, actor Born: 9/18/1939 Birthplace: Philadelphia A ...
- Avalon: meaning and definitions - Avalon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/avalon - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Avalon - Avalon An ocean island, where King Arthur resided and was buried. The word means “Apple ...