We will John Audley it, i.e. abridge it. A theatrical phrase.
In the eighteenth century one Shuter had a travelling company which
visited different fairs. It was his custom to lengthen out his
performance till a goodly number of newcomers had collected on the open
stage of his theatre, when a boy called out John Audley, and the
play which was going on inside was brought to an end as soon as
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Audley from Infoplease:
- Audley - Audley We will John Audley it, i.e. abridge it. A theatrical phrase. In the eighteenth century one ...
- John Audley - John Audley Is John Audley there? Get done as soon as possible, for there are persons sufficient ...
- Peeping Tom (1960) - Starring Karlheinz Bohm, Anna Massey, Maxine Audley, Moira Shearer, Esmond Knight
- Sun Don't Shine - Starring Kate Lyn Sheil, Kentucker Audley, AJ Bowen, Kit Gwinn, Mark Reeb
- Sleeping Beauty (1959) - Starring Mary Costa, Bill Shirley, Eleanor Audley, Verna Felton, Barbara Luddy