The most elegant and finished scholar of the Romans. His
admirable taste and sound judgment were so highly thought of that even
Cicero submitted to him several of his treatises.
The English Atticus.
Joseph Addison; so called by Pope, on account of his refined taste
and philosophical mind. 1672–1719.)
The Christian Atticus.
Reginald Heber, Bishop of Calcutta. (1783–1826.)
The Irish Atticus.
George Faulkner; so called by Lord Chesterfield. (1700–1775.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Atticus from Infoplease:
- Herodes Atticus - Herodes Atticus Herodes Atticus (Tiberius Claudius Atticus Herodes), c.101–c.177, Greek ...
- Atticus - Atticus The most elegant and finished scholar of the Romans. His admirable taste and sound judgment ...
- Cornelius Nepos - Nepos, Cornelius Nepos, Cornelius , c.100 B.C.–c.25 B.C., Roman historian. He was an intimate ...
- Gregory Peck - Biography of Gregory Peck, The actor who played Atticus Finch in the movie To Kill A Mockingbird
- 2010 Golden Globe Awards - 2010 Golden Globe Awards The 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards were presented January 16, 2011. Here ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring