Figures of men, used in architecture instead of pillars. So
called from Atlas, who in Greek mythology supported the world on his
shoulders. Female figures are called Caryatides (q.v.). (See
(in Orlando Furioso). A sage and a magician who
lived in an enchanted palace, and brought up Rogero to all manly
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Atlantes from Infoplease:
- Atlantic Provinces - Atlantic Provinces Atlantic Provinces, term used since 1949 to designate the Canadian provinces of ...
- Atlantic Charter - Atlantic Charter Atlantic Charter , joint program of peace aims, enunciated by Prime Minister ...
- Atlantic Ocean - Atlantic Ocean Atlantic Ocean [Lat.,=of Atlas], second largest ocean (c.31,800,000 sq mi/82,362,000 ...
- North Atlantic Treaty: meaning and definitions - North Atlantic Treaty: Definition and Pronunciation
- The Middle Atlantic - The Middle Atlantic Source: The U.S. Department of State If New England provided the brains and ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring