The goddess-moon in Syrian mythology, called by Jeremiah (vii.
18, xliv. 17, 25) “the queen of heaven.” Goddess of the Zidonians.
Heaven's queen and mother both.
Milton: The Hymn.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ashtaroth from Infoplease:
- Ashtaroth - Ashtaroth Ashtaroth , Hebrew plural form of Ashtoreth, the name of the Canaanite fertility goddess ...
- Ashtaroth - Ashtaroth The goddess-moon in Syrian mythology, called by Jeremiah (vii. 18, xliv. 17, 25) ...
- Astaroth - Astaroth Astaroth , variant of Ashtaroth.
- Adam Lindsay Gordon - Gordon, Adam Lindsay Gordon, Adam Lindsay, 1833–70, Australian poet, b. the Azores. In 1853 ...
- 1 Samuel: 7 - And the men of Kirjath-jearim came, and brought…