A showman, very cute, and very American The hypothetical writer
of the essays or papers so called, the real author being Charles F.
Being asked if his name was Artemus or Artemus, he wrote on his
Don't bother me with your etas and short e's,
Nor ask me for more than you have on my card; Oh! spare me from etymological sorties,
And simply accept me as Artemus Ward; Which, however, leaves the pronunciation of “Ward” doubtful.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Artemus Ward from Infoplease:
- Artemus Ward - Ward, Artemus Ward, Artemus, pseud. of Charles Farrar Browne,1834–67, American humorist, b. ...
- Browne: meaning and definitions - Browne: Definition and Pronunciation
- ward: meaning and definitions - ward: Definition and Pronunciation
- Artemus Ward - Artemus Ward A showman, very cute, and very American The hypothetical writer of the essays or ...
- Maine - Information on Maine — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring