tapestry. So called from Arras, in Artois, famed for its
manufacture. When rooms were hung with tapestry it was a common thing
for persons to hide behind it, especially the arras curtain before the
door. Hubert concealed the two villains who were to put out Arthur's
eyes behind the arras. Polonius was slain by Hamlet while concealed
behind the arras. Falstaff proposed to hide behind the arras at
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Arras from Infoplease:
- Treaty of Arras - Arras, Treaty of. Arras, Treaty of. 1. Treaty of 1435, between King Charles VII of France and Duke ...
- arras: meaning and definitions - arras: Definition and Pronunciation
- Arras - Arras Arras , city (1990 pop. 42,715), capital of Pas-de-Calais dept., and historic capital of ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/arras - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Arras - Arras tapestry. So called from Arras, in Artois, famed for its manufacture. When rooms were hung ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring