Surnamed The Just. An Athenian statesman.
Then Aristides lifts his honest front,
Spotless of heart; to whom the unflattering voice Of Freedom gave the
noblest name of just.
Thomson: Winter, 459-61.
The British Aristides.
Andrew Marvell (1620–1678).
The French Aristides.
Mons. Grévy, born 1813, president of the Third Republic
1879–1887, died 1891. He was a barrister by profession.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Aristides from Infoplease:
- Aristides: meaning and definitions - Aristides: Definition and Pronunciation
- Arístides Royo Sánchez - Royo Sánchez, Arístides Royo Sánchez, Arístides, 1940–, president ...
- Jean-Bertrand Aristide - Aristide, Jean-Bertrand Aristide, Jean-Bertrand , 1953–, president of Haiti (1991, ...
- Aristides - Aristides Aristides , d. c.468 B.C., Athenian statesman and general. He was one of the 10 generals ...
- Aristide Maillol - Maillol, Aristide Maillol, Aristide , 1861–1944, French sculptor, woodcut artist, and ...