A spirit of the air and guardian of innocence. He was enslaved
to the witch Sycorax, who overtasked him; and in punishment for not
doing what was beyond his power, shut him up in a pine-rift for twelve
years. On the death of Sycorax, Ariel became the slave of Caliban, who
tortured him most cruelly. Prospero liberated him from the pine-rift,
and the grateful fairy served him for sixteen years, when he was set
The sylph that watched over Belinda. (Pope: Rape of the Lock, i.)
One of the angels cast out of heaven. The word means lion of God. (Milton: Paradise Lost, book vi. 371.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ariel from Infoplease:
- Ariel, in astronomy - Ariel Ariel , in astronomy, one of the moons, or natural satellites, of Uranus.
- Ariel, in the Bible - Ariel Ariel , in the Bible, aide of Ezra. In two other passages AV calls them “lionlike ...
- Umbriel and Ariel - Umbriel and Ariel Umbriel and Ariel are roughly three-fourths the size of Oberon and Titania. ...
- ariel: meaning and definitions - ariel: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ariel - Starring Turo Pajala, Susanna Haavisto, Matti Pellonpää, Eetu Hilkamo, Erkki Pajala