(The Court of). The most ancient consistory court of England, the dean of which anciently held his court under the arches of Bow church. Of course we refer to the old church, the steeple of which was supported on arches. The present structure was the work of Sir Christopher Wren.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894