The sun, the god of music. (Roman mythology.)
Apollo's angry, and the heavens themselves
Do strike at my injustice.
Shakespeare: Winter's Tale
, iii. 2.
A perfect Apollo.
A model of manly beauty, referring to the Apollo Belvidere (q.v.
The Apollo of Portugal.
Luis Camoëns, author of the Lusiad, so called, not for his
beauty, but for his poetry. He was god of poetry in Portugal, but was
allowed to die in the streets of Lisbon like a dog, literally of
starvation. Our own Otway suffered a similar fate. (1527–1579.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Apollo from Infoplease:
- Apollos - Apollos Apollos , in the New Testament, Alexandrian Jew who became a Christian missionary.
- Apollo - Apollo Apollo , in Greek religion and mythology, one of the most important Olympian gods, concerned ...
- John Glenn - The Right Stuff Pioneer John Glenn Returns to Space by Michael Morrison For more information on the ...
- Apollo: meaning and definitions - Apollo: Definition and Pronunciation
- Apollo - Biography of Apollo, The sun god of Greek mythology