in Dryden's satire of Absalom and Achitophel is designed
for the Duchess of Monmouth. Her maiden name and title were Anne Scott,
Countess of Buccleuch, the richest heiress in Europe. The duke was
faithless to her, and after his death, the widow, still handsome,
“To all his [Monmouth's] wishes, nothing he [David] denied; And made
the charming Annabel his bride.”
Part i. lines 33, 34.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Annabel from Infoplease:
- Annabel: meaning and definitions - Annabel: Definition and Pronunciation
- Annabel - Annabel in Dryden's satire of Absalom and Achitophel is designed for the Duchess of Monmouth. ...
- 9500 Liberty - Starring Charlie T. Deane, Guadencio Fernandez, Greg Letiecq, Corey A. Stewart, Martin E. Nohe
- Jean-Paul Belmondo - Belmondo, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean-Paul , 1933–, French film actor, b. Neuilly-sur-Seine, ...
- Edgar Allan Poe: Assessment - Assessment Poe's literary executor, R. W. Griswold, overemphasized Poe's personal faults ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring