say the Arabs, were created from pure, bright gems; the gems, of
fire; and man, of clay.
according to Dionysius the Areopagite, were divided into nine
Seraphim, Cherubim, and Thrones, in the first circle.
Dominions, Virtues, and Powers, in the second circle.
Principalities, Archangels, and Angels, in the third circle.
St. Gregory the Great: Homily
In heaven above,
The effulgent bands in triple circles move.
Delivered, xi. 13.
The seven holy angels are—Abdiel, Gabriel, Michael, Raguel,
Raphael, Simiel, and Uriel. Michael and Gabriel are mentioned in the
Bible, Raphael in the Apocrypha. Milton (Paradise Lost, book i.,
from 392) gives a list of the fallen angels.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Angels from Infoplease:
- angelic: meaning and definitions - angelic: Definition and Pronunciation
- angel - angel angel , [Gr.,=messenger], bodiless, immortal spirit, limited in knowledge and power, accepted ...
- Angel Island - Angel Island Angel Island, largest island in San Francisco Bay, W Calif. Explored by the Spanish in ...
- Angell: meaning and definitions - Angell: Definition and Pronunciation
- Angel Falls - Angel Falls Angel Falls, waterfall, Sp. Salto Ángel, 3,212 ft (979 m) high, SE Venezuela, in ...