Thomas Aquinas was so called, because he discussed the knotty
points in connection with the being and nature of angels. An example
is, “Utrum Angelus moveatur de loco ad locum transeundo per medium?
” The Doctor says that it depends upon circumstances.
It is said, by way of a quiz, that one of his questions was: “How
many angels can dance on the point of a pin?”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Angelic Doctor from Infoplease:
- Aquinas: meaning and definitions - Aquinas: Definition and Pronunciation
- Saint Thomas Aquinas - Thomas Aquinas, Saint Thomas Aquinas, Saint [Lat.,=from Aquino], 1225–74, Italian philosopher ...
- Angelic Doctor - Angelic Doctor Thomas Aquinas was so called, because he discussed the knotty points in connection ...
- Thomas Aquinas - Biography of Thomas Aquinas, Medieval Catholic scholar who wrote Summa Theologica
- Angel of the Schools. - Angel of the Schools. St. Thomas Aquinas. (See Angelic Doctor.) Source: Dictionary of Phrase and ...