a Spanish cosmetic, made of roses, trefoil, and lavender. Short
for Angelica-water, because originally it was chiefly made of the
“Angel-water was the worst scent about her.” —Sedley: Bellam.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Angel-water from Infoplease:
- Angel-water - Angel-water a Spanish cosmetic, made of roses, trefoil, and lavender. Short for Angelica-water, ...
- Thomas Francis FORD - Thomas Francis FORD (1873-1958) FORD, Thomas Francis, a Representative from California; born in St. ...
- Maxine Waters - Maxine Waters U.S. congresswoman Born: 1938 Birthplace: St. Louis, Mo. Waters has been a member of ...
- Revelation: 16 - And I heard a great voice out of the temple…
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: A - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "A"