Something worn, generally round the neck, as a charm. (Arabic,
hamulet, that which is suspended.)
The early Christians used to wear amulets called Ichthus,
fish; the word is composed of the initial letters of Iesos CHristos
THeou Uios Soter (Jesus Christ, Son of God, our Saviour). (See
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Amulet from Infoplease:
- amulet - amulet amulet , object or formula that credulity and superstition have endowed with the power of ...
- amulet: meaning and definitions - amulet: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: The Amulet - Your picture smiles as first it smiled; The ring you gave is still the same; Your letter tells, O changing child! No tidings since it came. Give me an
- Amulet - Amulet Something worn, generally round the neck, as a charm. (Arabic, hamulet, that which is ...
- periapt: meaning and definitions - periapt: Definition and Pronunciation