The place where the almoner resides, or where alms are
distributed. An almoner is a person whose duty it is to distribute
alms, which, in ancient times, consisted of one-tenth of the entire
income of monastery. (See Ambry.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Almonry from Infoplease:
- almonry: meaning and definitions - almonry: Definition and Pronunciation
- Almonry - Almonry The place where the almoner resides, or where alms are distributed. An almoner is a person ...
- Ambry - Ambry a cupboard, locker, or recess. In church, for keeping vestments, books, or other articles. ...
- Maunds - Maunds (Royal). Gifts distributed to the poor on Maundy Thursday (q.v.). The number of doles ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: A - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "A"