All is lost
that is put in a riven dish. In Latin, “Pertusum quiequid
infunditur in dolium, perit.” (It is no use helping the insolvent.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on All is lost from Infoplease:
- All Is Lost - Starring Robert Redford
- All is lost - All is lost that is put in a riven dish. In Latin, “Pertusum quiequid infunditur in dolium, ...
- Christina Rossetti: Dead Before Death - Ah! changed and cold, how changed and very cold, With stiffened smiling lips and cold calm eyes: Changed, yet the same; much knowing, little wise; Thi
- William Rowley - Rowley, William Rowley, William , 1585?–1642?, English playwright and actor. He collaborated ...
- Saint Ephraem - Ephraem, Saint Ephraem, Saint , A.D. 308?–373, Syrian theologian, doctor of the church. He ...