All Hallows' Eve
The Scotch tradition is, that those born on All Hallows' Eve
have the gift of double sight, and commanding powers over spirits. Mary
Avenel, on this supposition, is made to see the White Lady, invisible
to less gifted visions.
“Being born on All-hallows' Eve, she (Mary Avenel) was supposed to
be invested with power over the invisible world.” (See Sir
Walter Scott: The Monastery, chap. xiv.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on All Hallows' Eve from Infoplease:
- Halloween History - Halloween History The tangled origins of the October 31 holiday by Shmuel Ross Related Links ...
- Halloween Traditions - Halloween Traditions The inside scoop on jack-o'-lanterns and other Halloween traditions by ...
- Halloween: Conversation with a Witch - Conversations with a Witch Information Please talks to a real-life witch about stereotypes in the ...
- All Hallows' Eve - All Hallows' Eve The Scotch tradition is, that those born on All Hallows' Eve have the gift ...
- All Saints' Day - All Saints' Day All Saints' Day, feast of the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, and day ...