Alfonso XI of Castile,
whose “favourite” was Leonora de Guzman. Being
threatened with excommunication unless he put her away (as Leonora was
in love with Ferdinando, a brave officer), the king created Ferdinando
Marquis of Montreal, and gave him the hand of his mistress in marriage.
As soon as Ferdinando discovered who Leonora was, he restored her to
the king, and retired to a monastery. —Donizetti's Opera, La
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Alfonso XI of Castile from Infoplease:
- Alfonso XI of Castile, - Alfonso XI of Castile, whose “favourite” was Leonora de Guzman. Being threatened with ...
- Peter IV, king of Aragón - Peter IV Peter IV (Peter the Ceremonious), 1319?–1387, king of Aragón and count of ...
- Gil Álvarez Carrillo de Albornoz - Albornoz, Gil Álvarez Carrillo de Albornoz, Gil Álvarez Carrillo de , ...
- Alfonso IV, king of Portugal - Alfonso IV Alfonso IV, 1291–1357, king of Portugal (1325–57), son and successor of ...
- Leonora - Leonora wife of Fernando Florestan, a state prisoner in Seville. (Beethoven: Fidelio, an opera.) ...