A variety of chrysobery found in the mica-slate of
the Urals. So named from Czar Alexander II (1818, 1855–1881),
because it shows the Russian colours, green and red.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Alexandrite from Infoplease:
- alexandrite: meaning and definitions - alexandrite: Definition and Pronunciation
- Alexandrite - Alexandrite (4 syl.). A variety of chrysobery found in the mica-slate of the Urals. So named from ...
- Birthstones - Birthstones Month Stone January Garnet February Amethyst March Aquamarine or Bloodstone April ...
- chrysoberyl - chrysoberyl chrysoberyl [Gr.,=golden beryl], a beryllium aluminate used as a gem. It has a vitreous ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Aisha AISI AISI steel aisle Aisne ait aitch aitchbone Aitken Aitolía Aius ...