or Aldabelle (in Orlando Furioso). Sister of
Oliviero and Brandimarte, daughter of Monodantes, and wife of Orlando.
A marchioness of Florence, who gave entertainment to the magnates
of the city. She was very handsome, heartless, and arrogant. When Fazio
became rich with Bartoldo's money, Aldabella inveigled him from his
wife, and his wife, out of jealousy, accused her husband of being privy
to Bartoldo's death. Fazio being condemned for murder and robbery, his
wife Bianca accused Aldabella of inveigling him, and the marchioness
was condemned by the Duke of Florence to spend the rest of her life in
a nunnery. —Dean Milman: Fazio.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Aldabella from Infoplease:
- Aldabella - Aldabella or Aldabelle (in Orlando Furioso). Sister of Oliviero and Brandimarte, daughter of ...
- Bianca - Bianca Wife of Fazio. When Fazio became rich, and got entangled with the Marchioness Aldabella, she ...
- Fazio - Fazio A native of Florence, who first tried to make his fortune by alchemy; but being present when ...
- Orlando - Orlando The youngest son of Sir Rowland de Boys. At a wrestling match the banished duke's ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: A - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "A"
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring