God of the ocean, whose wife is Rana. They had nine daughters,
who wore white robes and veils (Scandinavian mythology). These
daughters are the billows, etc. The word means “to flow.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Aegir from Infoplease:
- Aegir: meaning and definitions - Aegir: Definition and Pronunciation
- Aegir - Ægir Ægir′ God of the ocean, whose wife is Rana. They had nine daughters, who ...
- ran: meaning and definitions - ran: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index ADS adscititious adscript adscription adsorb adsorbate adst. feb. adstratum adsum ...
- Niord - Niord The Scandinavian sea-god. He was not one of the &AEsir; Niörd's son was Frey ...