The Holy of Holies in the Greek and Roman temples, into which
the general public were not admitted. (Greek, a-duton = not to
be entered; duo, to go.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Adytum from Infoplease:
- adytum: meaning and definitions - adytum: Definition and Pronunciation
- Adytum - Adytum Ad′ytum The Holy of Holies in the Greek and Roman temples, into which the general ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index ADS adscititious adscript adscription adsorb adsorbate adst. feb. adstratum adsum ...
- Temples - Temples (Pagan) in many respects resembled Roman Catholic churches. There was first the vestibule, ...
- Address of Mrs. Elizabeth Cady Stanton. - Hearing of the Woman suffrage association (1892) Address of Mrs. Lucy Stone. Address of Mrs. ...