in Dryden's Absalom and Achitophel, is meant for the
Earl of Mulgrave.
Sharp-judging Adriel, the muses' friend,
Himself a muse: in Sanbedrim's debate
True to his prince, but not a slave of state;
Whom David's love with honours did adorn,
That from his disobedient son were torn.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Adriel from Infoplease:
- Adriel - Adriel Adriel , in the Bible, husband of Merab.
- Adriel - Adriel in Dryden's Absalom and Achitophel, is meant for the Earl of Mulgrave. Sharp-judging ...
- Current Government Officials: Barbados - World > Heads of State Info Barbados Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments ...
- 1 Samuel: 18 - And it came to pass, when he had made an end of…
- 2 Samuel: 21 - Then there was a famine in the days of David…