A big-wig, the great boss of the place. It is a Spanish word
for “his excellency” (adelantar , to excel), and is given to the
governor of a province.
“Open no door. If the adelantado of Spain were here he should not enter.”
Every Man out of his Humour, v. 4.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Adelantado from Infoplease:
- adelantado: meaning and definitions - adelantado: Definition and Pronunciation
- Adelantado - Adelantado A big-wig, the great boss of the place. It is a Spanish word for “his ...
- Pedro de Mendoza - Mendoza, Pedro de Mendoza, Pedro de , b. 1501 or 1502, d. 1537, Spanish conquistador, first ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index A.C.S. A.C.S.C., A/cs pay. A/cs rec. act acta actable Actaeon Acta Sanctorum act ...
- Diego de Velázquez - Velázquez, Diego de Velázquez, Diego de , c.1460–1524?, Spanish conquistador, ...