The citadel of ancient Athens.
Of course, the word is compounded of
polis = the city on the height,
i.e., the high rock
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Acropolis from Infoplease:
- acropolis: meaning and definitions - acropolis: Definition and Pronunciation
- acropolis - acropolis acropolis [Gr.,=high point of the city], elevated, fortified section of various ancient ...
- Acropolis - Acropolis Acrop′olis The citadel of ancient Athens. Of course, the word is compounded of ...
- Famous Buildings and Structures - Famous Buildings and Structures Prehistorical and Ancient The megalithic passage tomb at Newgrange ...
- Ancient History - Ancient History Before Christ (B.C.) or Before the Common Era (B.C.E.) 4.5 billion – 1B.C. ...