The word “acre,” Old
English, æcer, is akin to the Latin ager and German
acker (a field).
A cemetery or churchyard.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Acre from Infoplease:
- Acre, city, Israel - Acre Acre, Israel: see Akko.
- Acre, state, Brazil - Acre Acre , state (1990 est. pop. 1,125,100), 58,915 sq mi (152,590 sq km), W Brazil, on the ...
- Akko - Akko Akko or Acre, Fr. Saint-Jean d'Acre, Arab. Acca, city (1994 pop. 45,300), NW Israel, a ...
- acr-: meaning and definitions - acr-: Definition and Pronunciation
- God's acre: meaning and definitions - God's acre: Definition and Pronunciation