i.e., Nova Scotia, so called by the French from the
river Shubenacadie. The name was changed in 1621. In 1755 the
old French inhabitants were driven into exile by order of George II.
“Thus dwelt together in love those simple Acadian farmers.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Acadia from Infoplease:
- Acadia - Acadia Acadia , Fr. Acadie, region and former French colony, E Canada, encompassing modern Nova ...
- Acadia: meaning and definitions - Acadia: Definition and Pronunciation
- Acadia - Acadia Aca′dia i.e., Nova Scotia, so called by the French from the river Shubenacadie. The ...
- Canada - Information on Canada — map of Canada, flag of Canada, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population, culture, religion, languages, largest cities
- Acadian: meaning and definitions - Acadian: Definition and Pronunciation