A mountain in Africa, opposite Gibraltar. This, with Calpe in
Spain, 16 m. distant, forms the pillars of Hercules.
Heaves up huge Abyla on Afric's sand,
Crowns with high Calpe Europe's salient strand.
Darwin: Economy of Vegetation.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Abyla from Infoplease:
- Abyla: meaning and definitions - Abyla: Definition and Pronunciation
- Abyla - Abyla Ab′yla A mountain in Africa, opposite Gibraltar. This, with Calpe in Spain, 16 m. ...
- Jebel Musa: meaning and definitions - Jebel Musa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Calpe - Calpe (2 syl.). Calpë and Abyla. The two pillars of Hercules. According to one account, these ...
- Pillars of Hercules - Pillars of Hercules (The). The opposite rocks at the entrance of the Mediterranean Sea, one in ...