A charm. It is said that Abracadabra was the supreme deity of
the Assyrians. Q. Severus Sammonicus recommended the use of the word as
a powerful antidote against ague, flux, and toothache. The word was to
be written on parchment, and suspended round the neck by a linen
thread, in the form given below:
A B R A C A D A B R A
A B R A C A D A B R
A B R A C A D A B
A B R A C A D A
A B R A C A D
A B R A C A
A B R A C
A B R A
A B R
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Abracadabra from Infoplease:
- abracadabra - abracadabra abracadabra , magical formula used by the Gnostics (see Gnosticism) to invoke the aid ...
- abracadabra: meaning and definitions - abracadabra: Definition and Pronunciation
- Abracadabra - Abracadabra Abracada′bra A charm. It is said that Abracadabra was the supreme deity of the ...
- amulet - amulet amulet , object or formula that credulity and superstition have endowed with the power of ...
- Robert Graves: Love and Black Magic - To the woods, to the woods is the wizard gone; In his grotto the maiden sits alone. She gazes up with a weary smile At the rafter-hanging crocodile, T