A dynasty of caliphs who reigned from 750–1258.
The name is derived from Abbas, uncle of Mahomet. The most celebrated
of them was Haroun-al-Raschid (born 765, reigned 786–808).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Abbassides from Infoplease:
- Abbassides - Abbassides Abb′assides (3 syl.). A dynasty of caliphs who reigned from 750–1258. The ...
- Kufa: meaning and definitions - Kufa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Haroun al Raschid - Haroun al Raschid Calif of the East, of the Abbasside race. (765-809.) His adventures form a part ...
- Black Standard - Black Standard The dress, turbans, and standards of the Abbasside caliphs were all black. ...
- Just - Just (The). Aristides, the Athenian (died B.C. 468). Baharam, styled Shah Endeb(the Just King), ...