Palmyra Atoll is an incorporated territory of the U.S. and privately owned. The atoll has a total area of 4.6 sq mi (11.9 sq km) and is located in the North Pacific Ocean, 994 mi (1,600 km) southwest of Honolulu. It was a U.S. military base during World War II but was not attacked.
See also Encyclopedia: Palmyra.
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Palmyra Atoll from Infoplease:
- Palmyra Atoll - Information on Palmyra Atoll — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Palmyra Atoll - Map of Palmyra Atoll & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters, and current events.
- Palmyra, atoll, Pacific Ocean - Palmyra Palmyra, atoll (2 sq mi/5.2 sq km), central Pacific, one of the Line Islands, c.1,100 mi ...
- Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies - Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies Source: The World Factbook, 2005 The following is a list of ...
- Hawaii, state, United States: Land and People - Land and People The Hawaiian Islands are of volcanic origin and are edged with coral reefs. Hawaii ...